Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1862, Yarbrough, W.S.N. Biscoe, and J.C. Short started the Tyler Ordnance Works, which was sold the next year to the Confederate States of America. This building was leased by the Confederacy for use as a cartridge factory.
In the early 1950s, the upper story was removed, and in 1965, the present facade added.
The Yarbrough Building, which once stood at this location, was razed in 1978.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7771.)
Location. 32° 21.108′ N, 95° 18.001′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on East Ferguson Street west of North Spring Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at the southeast corner of the Regions Bank Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E Ferguson St, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (within Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (about 400 feet away); Henry Miller Morgan (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Henry Miller Morgan (about 500 feet away); City of Tyler (about 500 feet away); 1881 Smith County Jail (about 700 feet away); Tyler Commercial College (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Regarding Yarbrough Building. At the time the building was razed, a number of different caliber lead bullets were found that had dropped between the floors. Production records for the Tyler Ordnance Works exist, and it was possible to match the bullets with the production records. With the exception of a .54 Sharps bullet, at least one of each type of ball was found.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.