Happy in Swisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church
In 1906, Happy moved to its present location along the Santa Fe Rail Line. The Methodist church building was hauled to the new townsite by wagon in 1909. The Rev. B. F. Sharp, a circuit rider, reorganized the 15-member church at its new location. Happy remained on a circuit with 4 other congregations until 1919.
The original church building was remodeled in 1920, during the pastorate of the Rev. C. W. McNeely. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1930-31, under the direction of the Rev. H. C. Smith. Two years later, a fire gutted the interior, forcing services to be held in the basement. After repairs, the structure was dedicated on October 18, 1942. Recent renovation occurred in 1974, when the Rev. Carl Oglesby was pastor.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical
Location. 34° 44.672′ N, 101° 51.45′ W. Marker is in Happy, Texas, in Swisher County. Marker is on North Floyd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 North Floyd Street, Happy TX 79042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Happy Public Schools (approx. ¼ mile away); Harmon-Toles Elevator (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Old Happy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Happy Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dreamland Cemetery (approx. 14.1 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.