Sheridan in Sheridan County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Sheridan Railway Company
1911 - 1926
Following the tremendous success of the City Line, a second route, known as the Fort Line, was established. The Fort Line was an extension from Main Street, up Lewis Hill to the county fairgrounds, across Deadman's Draw, and on to Fort Mackenzie - the present day VA Hospital. Once at the Fort, passengers would help turn the streetcar on a turntable for the ride back to town.
The streetcar service expanded even more with the construction of a 12-mile route from Sheridan to the nearby coal camps. This Interurban route was completed in February of 1912 and made stops at Dietz, Acme, Model, Carneyville, and Monarch.
Sheridan's streetcar system has some 18 miles of track within the city, which included a short spur from the end of the City Line to the sugar factory on Coffeen Avenue. Over the years, the streetcar became the pride and joy of Sheridan and the nearby
After the city decided to repave downtown Main Street and not replace that stretch of double track due to decreased passenger counts, service on the City Line was discontinued in September of 1923. The Fort Line continued to operate until March of 1924 when it was replaced by a bus. That left the Interurban routes to carry on as the last remaining electric railway in the state. However, it met the same fate of abandonment in June of 1926.
Fifty years after the streetcars made their last runs, the dilapidated body of one of the cars was discovered in a field near town. As part of the Bicentennial Celebration in 1976, #115 from the Fort Line was saved and renovated by local individuals, businesses and organizations. Today, #115 is the only remaining streetcar in the state of Wyoming.
Restoration plans and preservation continue for streetcar #115 to this day including a custom made protective cover during the winter months. Donors of materials and labor are: Prill Brothers, Inc.; Kennon Products; Sign Products Co.; Bella Graphics and Display; and Garry Doerr. The project is also supported in part by a grant from the Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund, a program of the Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources.
Erected 1976 by Sheridan County Bicentennial Committee
Location. 44° 48.348′ N, 106° 56.37′ W. Marker is in Sheridan, Wyoming, in Sheridan County. Marker is on Sibley Circle near East 5th Street (Wyoming Highway 336), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 850 Sibley Circle, Sheridan WY 82801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Black Diamond Trail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Black Diamonds of Sheridan County (about 400 feet away); Big Horns (approx. ¼ mile away); A Place of Shelter (approx. ¼ mile away); Class 0-5-A Mohawk Locomotive (approx. 0.7 miles away); Historic Sheridan Inn (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Cabin in Sheridan (approx. one mile away); General George Crook (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheridan.
More about this marker. The streetcar is located at the Sheridan County Museum.
Also see . . . The Trolley - Downtown Sheridan Association. By 1910, the area claimed a population of over 18,000 residents. Even though the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad (present day Burlington Northern Railroad) had a route running through this region, (Submitted on December 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.