Pontotoc in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pontotoc and San Fernando Academy
(Site of Academy is 100 yards north)
Founded by interested citizens, San Fernando Academy (probably named for nearby creek), opened 1883. Pupils (200 during academy's career) took regular subjects or courses leading toward teacher certificates. Principals were K.T. Hamilton and W.C. Roaten. After academy failed, site was sold by W.J. and B.J. Willis and used by the public school until 1927.
Erected 1972 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11294.)
Location. 30° 54.57′ N, 98° 58.741′ W. Marker is in Pontotoc, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is on State Highway 71 0.1 miles west of Farm to Market Road 501, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pontotoc TX 76869, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Community of Valley Spring (approx. 10.1 miles away); Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Pontotoc, TX. From (Submitted on December 11, 2015.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.