Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Tyler

 
 
City of Tyler Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 11, 2015
1. City of Tyler Marker
Inscription. In area opened 1839 to white settlers by Republic of Texas victories over Cherokee Indians whose trails led the way to good springs, fine farmlands, useful salines. The first Legislature of the state of Texas named the town (founded 1846) for President John Tyler, who signed the resolution annexing Texas to the United States.

Originally a farm market, Tyler in early years had few men of wealth, but by 1860 was known for good schools, churches and cultured citizens. Several men here raised and commanded troops in Civil War. After mid-1863 this was transportation headquarters for Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederacy. It had an ordnance factory and was site of Camp Ford—the largest P.O.W. post west of the Mississippi.

In 1870s important as site of railroad shops and roundhouse. Developed industries, manufacturing, fruit and vegetable packing, shipping, expanding economy.

Furnished Texas with statesmen, including Governors Richard B. Hubbard (in office 1876-1879), O. M. Roberts (1879-1883) and James Stephen Hogg (1891-1895).

Upon discovery of nearby East Texas oil field in 1931, became investment, banking, servicing center.

Home of Tyler Junior College; Annual Rose Festival.
 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee
City of Tyler Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 11, 2015
2. City of Tyler Marker
. (Marker Number 7762.)
 
Location. 32° 21.067′ N, 95° 18.083′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of North College Avenue and West Erwin Street, on the left when traveling south on North College Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located on the west side of the Courthouse plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North College Avenue, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tyler Commercial College (about 400 feet away); Yarbrough Building (about 500 feet away); Marvin Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Tyler Carnegie Library (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Tyler (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement