Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tyler Carnegie Library
In 1902, the Tyler Free Library Board requested funding for a library building from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie agreed to provide $15,000.00 to the city of Tyler for a library, but stipulated that the city donate the building site and furnishings and maintain the library at a cost of no less than $1,500.00 per year. A lot was purchased at the northwest corner of South College and West Elm, and fundraising efforts throughout the community provided the books, furnishings, landscaping , and telephone services for the new library.
The Chicago architect firm of Patton and Miller designed the Italian Renaissance style building, with R.H. Downing of Tyler as architectural supervisor and D. Mahoney of Waxahachie as builder. The original library housed childrenís and adultís reading rooms, a check-out desk, book shelves and an office on the first floor, while the second floor included an auditorium with a stage and two small dressing rooms. For many years, this was the only public auditorium in Tyler. A 1936 addition, which doubled the size of the original building,
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16531.)
Location. 32° 20.984′ N, 95° 18.12′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of West Elm Street and South College Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 S College Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler Commercial College (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gov. Richard B. Hubbard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Senator Thomas Glover Pollard (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tyler Commercial College (about 400 feet away); Marvin Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tyler Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away); Tyler Civic Theatre Center (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Regarding Tyler Carnegie Library. The Carnegie Library Building now houses the Museum and Archives Collection of the Smith County Historical Society. The original 1904 Auditorium with its arched ceiling and stage has been restored and is used as a public meeting venue.
Also see . . . Smith County Historical Society. The Museum and Archives collection of the Smith County Historical Society are open Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Admission is free. (Submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas.)
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.