Near Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Old JA Ranch
In 1877, Goodnight in partnership with Englishman John Adair moved farther down the canyon to lay out headquarters of the JA Ranch. This pioneer venture became one of the greatest cattle operations in the world, taking in more than a million acres of land and grazing 101,023 head of cattle.
Goodnight had became acquainted with the Palo Duro as a scout and guide for Texas Rangers during the Civil War. He knew that the canyon, fenced in by the overhanging caprock, was an ideal spot for a ranch: it furnished water and shelter in the winter and the adjacent plains provided ideal grazing in the summer.
Upper division of this ranch (the park area) was reserved for the purebred, or JJ herd. The vast lower end of the JA was ranged by longhorns - gradually being improved by better blood.
In 1887 the Goodnight-Adair partnership was ended. Adair retained the JA which, in the hands of his heirs, is still one of the great ranches of Texas.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5388.)
Location. 34° 59.061′ Touch for map. Marker is on the east side of the parking lot at the entrance station to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon TX 79015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Civilian Conservation Corps at Palo Duro Canyon State Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Battle of Palo Duro Canyon (approx. 5.2 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard (approx. 11.6 miles away); Site of an Early Barbed Wire Fence in the Panhandle (approx. 11.6 miles away); Town of Washburn (approx. 15.2 miles away); Llano Cemetery (approx. 15.6 miles away); Amarillo Globe Dream House (approx. 15.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
Categories. • Animals •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.