Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Caldwell County Courthouse

 
 
Caldwell County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
1. Caldwell County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The first Caldwell County courthouse was erected on this site in 1848, when the county was organized and named for Mathew Caldwell, a Texas Ranger and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. It was replaced in 1858 by a 2-story limestone edifice, measuring 65 feet by 40 feet, with six offices and two rooms for storing records. By 1893, that building had become too small for a growing county.
     In April 1893, Judge George W. Kyser and Commissioners J.H. Jolley, G.A. McGee, C.R. Smith, and R.A. Tiller approved plans for the present courthouse. The cornerstone was laid by Lockhart Lodge No. 690, A.F.&A.M., on August 15, 1893. Contractors Martin, Byrne, and Johnston completed the building on March 19, 1894.
     The 3-story structure is built of sandstone with red sandstone trim. It displays the fine workmanship and elaborate detail common to architecture of the period. The mansard roof is characteristic of the Second Empire style that was often used for public buildings. The courthouse is topped by a central clock tower, with additional towers at each corner and flanking the north and south entrances. When it was built, the structure was equipped with the latest conveniences of the day, including electricity.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976

 
Erected
Marker in front of west side of County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
2. Marker in front of west side of County Courthouse
1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9760.)
 
Location. 29° 53.058′ N, 97° 40.326′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is on S. Main Street north of E. Market Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the west side of the grounds of the Caldwell County courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Caldwell County (a few steps from this marker); Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Eugene Clark Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart (about 500 feet away); Battle of Plum Creek (approx. ¼ mile away); Rafael Rios No. 1 (approx. 12 miles away); Buda (approx. 17.1 miles away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 17.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
 
Also see . . .
1. Caldwell County Courthouse - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on December 13, 2015.)
2. Caldwell County Courthouse - TexasEscapes.com. (Submitted on December 13, 2015.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
North Elevation of County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
3. North Elevation of County Courthouse
Caldwell County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
4. Caldwell County Courthouse
View to northeast from intersection of S. Main Street and E. Market Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement