Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Potter County Courthouse
Over the years, three more courthouses were built as Amarillo and Potter County grew. During the 1920's the Panhandle experienced an oil boom. As a result, business increased, the population of Amarillo nearly tripled, and eight sky scrapers were added to the city.
The fifth courthouse in Potter County, this building was designed by Architect W.C. Townes of Townes, Lightfoot and Funk of Amarillo. It was constructed at a cost of $420,000 in 1930-32 by Amarillo builder Charles Lambie. More than 500 laborers, residents of Potter County, applied to work on building the new courthouse.
The Potter County Courthouse is a fine local example of an Art Deco style institutional building. It exhibits stepped massing from its entrance pavilion to the top of the tower, and skillful use of details that include ornamental figural and botanical bas relief, symmetrical pilasters and metal casement windows.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4096.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is on the courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 South Taylor Street, Amarillo TX 79101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Potter County (here, next to this marker); Potter County Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Fisk Medical Arts & Professional Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rick Husband (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry B. Sanborn (approx. ¼ mile away); American Mammoths (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Amarillo Story (approx. 0.3 miles away); Santa Fe Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.