Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Worth and Denver City Railway
First Railroad through the Texas Panhandle
Under General G.M. Dodge, civil engineer who had built several major lines, grading began in 1881 at Hodge, near Fort Worth. Despite the 1882 repeal of the Texas Land Grant Act, private capital was able to push rails northwestward at intervals. Numerous towns, including Amarillo (in 1887) began as camps of the crews building grade and laying the tracks.
On March 14, 1888, connection was made with rails of the Denver, Texas and Fort Worth Railroad (now Colorado and Southern) at Union Park, near Folsom, N. Mex. This completed the through route to Denver. In 1908 the Fort Worth and Denver City became a part of the Burlington System; in 1951 the name was changed to Fort Worth and Denver Railway Company.
Ever since its beginning, this railroad has been backed by men with unlimited faith in the destiny of the Texas Panhandle. It has advanced the economy based on cattle, grain, petroleum, and manufacturing.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2037.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is on the lower level of Pierce Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 83 South Pierce Street, Amarillo TX 79107, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A.T. & S.F. No. 5000 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry B. Sanborn (approx. ¼ mile away); Potter County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rick Husband (approx. 0.4 miles away); Potter County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Potter County Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fisk Medical Arts & Professional Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); American Mammoths (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.