Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Amarillo Livestock Auction
The years 1874-1878 saw Indians expelled, buffalo herds exterminated, and ranches established in the region. Longhorns were trailed to Dodge City for shipment. After railroads came, ranchmen rode the cattle trains to care for herds en route to market.
Railroad construction across the Texas Panhandle in 1887 established Amarillo as the largest rural cattle shipping point in the nation (1892-1897).
More efficient handling began in 1904 with the founding by O.H. Nelson, Al Popham, and associates of the Western Stockyards, predecessor of Amarillo Livestock Auction. This livestock commission market opened in 1935 with the sale of 36 cattle and 21 horses by Jack Coulter, Auctioneer, and Virgil Light, Manager. In 1940 Jay Taylor and Eddie Johnson bought the Western Stockyards and constructed the present sales ring, incorporated 1945 as Amarillo Livestock Auction Company. Marketing was revolutionized.
Annual sales exceed 400,000 cattle valued at more than $78,000,000.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 145.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Manhattan Street, Amarillo TX 79104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sacred (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dash for Cash (approx. 1.1 miles away); Refrigerator (approx. 1.2 miles away); A.T. & S.F. No. 5000 (approx. 1½ miles away); Henry B. Sanborn (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rick Husband (approx. 1.6 miles away); Fort Worth and Denver City Railway (approx. 1.6 miles away); Gregg Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
Categories. • Animals • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.