New Abbey in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, United Kingdom
“The last Cistercian abbey established on Scottish soil”
Sweetheart was established by Devorgilla, Lady of Galloway, in 1273, in memory of her husband John Balliol, father of King John of Scotland and founder of Balliol College, Oxford.
Monks of the Cistercian Order came from nearby Dundrennan Abbey. They cleared the site of granite boulders, with which they formed a massive precinct wall, much of which still survives. The church was built of red sandstone quarried on the other side of the River Nith.
Lady Devorgilla died in 1289 and was buried, with the embalmed heart of her husband, in front of the high altar.
Three years later, her son became King of Scots and the Wars of Independence with England that followed disturbed the peaceful routine of the monks.
The reformation of 1560 brought the effective life of the abbey to an end. Thereafter, much of the cloister complex was taken away as building material. The church was rescued from demolition in 1779 and has been in state care since 1928.
The Cistercian Order, which combined austerity of life with useful work, was popular with the Crown of Scotland. This map show the Cistercian monasteries in Scotland with their dates of foundation. Those marked in red are in the care of Historic Scotland and open to the public.
Sweetheart as it may have
The seal of an abbot of Sweetheart.
Erected by Historic Scotland.
Location. 54° 58.787′ N, 3° 37.141′ W. Marker is in New Abbey, Scotland, in Dumfries and Galloway. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Abbey, Scotland DG2 8BU, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Burns (approx. 9.5 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Sweetheart Abbey. Historic Scotland's history page for Sweetheart Abbey. (Submitted on December 19, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 18, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.