Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Coleman in Coleman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Coleman County

 
 
Coleman County Marker<br>Inscription Tablet (Missing) image. Click for full size.
1. Coleman County Marker
Inscription Tablet (Missing)
The bronze inscription tablet of the marker is missing. If you have a picture of the missing tablet, please add it to this page using the Add Photo link above.
Inscription.

Formed from Travis and Brown
counties. Created February 1,
1858, Organized October 6, 1864.

Named in honor of
Robert M. Coleman
1799-1837

A signer of the Declaration
of Independence
A hero of San Jacinto,
Organizer of first company
of Texas Rangers

Coleman approved as county seat
April 28, 1876

 
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 940.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 31° 51.594′ N, 99° 26.56′ W. Marker is near Coleman, Texas, in Coleman County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 84 1.1 miles west of U.S. 283, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in a roadside picnic area on the north side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Coleman TX 76834, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Colorado C.S.A. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Home Town of Texas Confederate Colonel James E. McCord (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mrs. J.A.B. Miller Public Library Building
Coleman County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
2. Coleman County Marker
(approx. 2.3 miles away); Coleman County Jail (approx. 2.3 miles away); Western Cattle Trail (approx. 2.3 miles away); Co. B, 142nd Infantry, 36th Division Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); Original Coleman County Court House (approx. 2.3 miles away); County Named in 1857 for Robert M. Coleman (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coleman.
 
More about this marker. The marker is a Texas Centennial highway marker. The bronze inscription tablet on top of the marker is missing. The pink granite stone base and the Texas Highway Department star medallion still remain. The source of the inscription text is from Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence, Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, Austin: 1938, p. 183.
 
Also see . . .  Coleman County. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on December 20, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
View to West from Roadside Park image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
3. View to West from Roadside Park
US 84 is left of the park
View to East from Roadside Park image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
4. View to East from Roadside Park
US 84 is right of the park
Coleman County Marker at US 84 Roadside Park image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
5. Coleman County Marker at US 84 Roadside Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 20, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement