Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rogersville in Hawkins County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

St. Marks Presbyterian Church

1875-2002

 
 
St. Marks Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, December 25, 2015
1. St. Marks Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Originated in 1875, St. Marks was the first black Presbyterian Church in Rogersville. Formerly located in the Tenth Civil District, now McKinney Avenue, the church moved to the corner of Kyle and Hasson Street in 1912. The Reverend William H. Franklin, founder and pastor, served St. Marks and Swift Memorial College. Buried on the Swift campus, in 1898, Dr. Franklin received an honorary doctorate from Maryville College. The church ministered to the Swift's facility, students, and community.
 
Erected by Tennesse Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1B 66.)
 
Location. 36° 24.461′ N, 83° 0.489′ W. Marker is in Rogersville, Tennessee, in Hawkins County. Marker is at the intersection of West Kyle Street and North Hasson Street, on the left when traveling east on West Kyle Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rogersville TN 37857, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Swift Memorial College (here, next to this marker); Dr. William Henderson Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker); Rogersville Town Well (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hawkins County, Tennessee
St. Marks Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, December 25, 2015
2. St. Marks Presbyterian Church
(about 600 feet away); Price Public School (about 700 feet away); Alexander Peter Stewart (about 700 feet away); Old Cemetery - First Presbyterian Church of Rogersville (about 800 feet away); Rogers Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rogersville.
 
More about this marker. There are two markers on one plaque: "St. Marks Presbyterian Church" on the side facing west, and "Swift Memorial College" on the side facing east.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement