Rogersville in Hawkins County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Swift Memorial College
1883 - 1963
Dr. William H. Franklin, the founder and President of Swift College, was one of the first black graduates from Maryville College, receiving his degree in 1881. Swift College was named to honor Elijah E. Swift, president of the denomination's National Board of Missions of Freedmen and benefactor and pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh, Penn. The private college served African-American students. Sold to Hawkins County in 1956, it became a public school for black students in grades one through twelve. W. E. Blevins served as the last principal before desegregation closed Swift's doors in 1963. The main three-story building was torn down in 1964. Three buildings remain as office for Hawkins County schools.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1B 66.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 24.461′ N, 83° 0.489′ W. Marker is in Rogersville, Tennessee, in Hawkins County. Marker is at the intersection of West Kyle Street and North Hasson Street, on the right when traveling west on West Kyle Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rogersville TN 37857, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least St. Marks Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); Dr. William Henderson Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker); Rogersville Town Well (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hawkins County, Tennessee (about 600 feet away); Rogersville Engagements (about 600 feet away); Price Public School (about 700 feet away); Alexander Peter Stewart (about 700 feet away); Old Cemetery - First Presbyterian Church of Rogersville (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rogersville.
Also see . . . Swift Memorial College (1883-1955). (Submitted on December 29, 2015.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.