Rogersville in Hawkins County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Tennessee's First Newspaper
At the invitation of Territorial Gov. William Blount, George Roulestone and Robert Ferguson brought a printing press over the mountains from North Carolina, and established the Knoxville Gazette in a log cabin on the Hawkins County Courthouse Square. On November 5, 1791, the first issue of Tennessee's first newspaper was printed. In October 1792, the Gazette was moved to Knoxville, Blount's newly established capital.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1B 60.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 24.462′ N, 83° 0.252′ W. Marker is in Rogersville, Tennessee, in Hawkins County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 East Main Street, Rogersville TN 37857, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clay-Kenner House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alexander Peter Stewart (about 400 feet away); Hawkins County, Tennessee (about 700 feet away); Rogersville Engagements (about 800 feet away); Rogersville Town Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. William Henderson Franklin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Cemetery - First Presbyterian Church of Rogersville (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Marks Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rogersville.
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 24 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 29, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.