Bénouville in Calvados, Normandie, France
Pegasus Bridge Site
In the first minutes of 6 June 1944, glider-borne troops of the 5th Airborne division captured the bridge which was on this site over the Caen Canal. It was one of the first objectives of the Allied landings in Normandy. It was renamed Pegasus Bridge after the emblem of British Airborne Forces.
It was replaced in 1994 by this new bridge of Benouville. The original bridge is now part of the "Memorial Pegasus"
Location. 49° 14.518′ N, 0° 16.369′ W. Marker is in Bénouville, Normandie, in Calvados. Marker is on Avenue du Commander Kieffer (D514). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bénouville, Normandie 14970, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major R. J. Howard (within shouting distance of this marker); Lance Corporal Brian J. Mullen (Sapper), R.E. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bailey Bridge (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); First House Liberated in France (about 180 meters away); Horsa Glider (about 180 meters away); Fourth Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); In Memory of All Canadian Gunners (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); Message to the French Resistance (approx. 17.3 kilometers away).
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 2, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.