Ranville, Basse-Normandie, France — Lower Normandy (Atlantic Coast)
The Bailey Bridge
Thirty Bailey Bridges were built across the Caen Canal, River Orne and River Dives during the Battle of Normandy. The 6th Airborne Division also used them during the breakout in August 1944. These bridges replaced those destroyed and were used in conjunction with local bridges, most of these being unable to support the weight of heavy military vehicles.
On 7th/8th June 1944 the first Bailey Bridge, built in Normandy, was installed across the Caen Canal near the Chateau de Benouville. The bridge was identical to this one. It allowed vehicles up to 30 tons to cross, Pegasus Bridge not having been designed for such heavy traffic.
The British Engineer, Donald Bailey designed and perfected this revolutionary type of Bridge which contributed, in no small measure, to the Allied victory.
Location. 49° 14.564′ N, 0° 16.271′ W. Marker is in Ranville, Basse-Normandie. Marker is on Avenue of Major Howard. Touch for map. This marker is on the grounds of the Pegasus Bridge Memorial Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Ranville, Basse-Normandie 14860, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Horsa Glider (within shouting distance of this marker); Lance Corporal Brian J. Mullen (Sapper), R.E. (within shouting distance of this marker); Pegasus Bridge Site (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Major R. J. Howard (about 210 meters away); First House Liberated in France (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Fourth Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); In Memory of All Canadian Gunners (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); Message to the French Resistance (approx. 17.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ranville.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 2, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.