Whitehouse in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Whitehouse
A church congregation, called New Hope Church of Christ, Baptist, was organized in September 1869 by Elders J. A. Kindle and W. G. Caperton and about twenty-five charter members. Early worship services were held once a month.
In 1887 a plot of land was purchased by New Hope Baptist Church and a one-room sanctuary, nestled in a pine grove, was built by the congregation.
After the railroad came through Whitehouse in the 1870s and a central business district began to grow, the church was relocated to the new townsite. A white frame building was erected in 1901, and the name was changed to Whitehouse Baptist Church.
In 1923 the church was relocated once again, to a site on East Main Street. At that time it was also renamed First Baptist Church. A new church facility was erected in 1959, and continued growth led to the construction of the present sanctuary in 1980. A part of Smith County history for more than a century, the First Baptist Church continues to serve its members and the community.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7725.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 E Main St, Whitehouse TX 75791, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Calhoun Hill (approx. 4.1 miles away); Omen (Canton) Community (approx. 6.3 miles away); Colonel Richard B. Hubbard / Governor R. B. Hubbard (approx. 6.6 miles away); John Franklin Overton (approx. 6.9 miles away); Smith Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away); Thomas Glover Pollard, Sr. (approx. 7.5 miles away); Headache Springs, C.S.A. (approx. 7.6 miles away); Tyler Junior College (approx. 8.5 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is partially obscured by rose bushes.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church of Whitehouse. (Submitted on January 5, 2016.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 4, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. 3. submitted on January 5, 2016, by Brad Low of Erie, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.