Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lanett in Chambers County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama

 
 
Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 4, 2016
1. Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama Marker (Side 1)
Inscription.
Side 1
Known as Bluffton from about 1835-1893. Bluffton was incorporated in 1865. Name changed to Lanett, town of Lanett incorporated 1893. Its charter was approved in 1895. Early records mention academies, two near this site. The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1837 at the home of Thomas S. Reese. Bluffton tanyard produced leather for the Confederacy. Lanett Cotton Mills incorporated 1892, Lanett Bleachery & Dye Works incorporated 1895, Subsidiaries, later Divisions of West Point Manufacturing Company. Lanett's early mayors were George Newton Croft, Sr., E. B. Reid, and James D. Norman.

Side 2
Forrest "Fob" James, who was elected Governor of the State of Alabama on November 7, 1978, was born in Lanett and resided here through young manhood, receiving his early education in this city's public school system.
In October 1798 Benjamin Hawkins journeyed through present Chambers County near the Chattahoochee. His path led across the present city of Lanett. Hawkins’ journal is a record of the first known journey through this area.
 
Erected 1979 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society.
 
Location. 32° 52.091′ N, 85° 11.461′ 
Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 4, 2016
2. Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama Marker (Side 2)
W. Marker is in Lanett, Alabama, in Chambers County. Marker is at the intersection of North Lanier Avenue and 1st Street, on the left when traveling north on North Lanier Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Lanier Avenue, Lanett AL 36863, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lanier High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of West Point (approx. 0.8 miles away in Georgia); "Daughters of the Confederacy" (approx. 0.8 miles away in Georgia); Fort Tyler (approx. 0.9 miles away in Georgia); a different marker also named Fort Tyler (approx. one mile away in Georgia); More Enduring Than Marble (approx. one mile away in Georgia); Fort Tyler Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away in Georgia); Gen. Robert C. Tyler, C.S.A. (approx. 1.2 miles away in Georgia).
 
Also see . . .  Encyclopedia of Alabama article on Lanett, Alabama. (Submitted on January 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommercePolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
City of Lanett Municipal Complex image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 4, 2016
3. City of Lanett Municipal Complex
Lanett Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 4, 2016
4. Lanett Post Office
View of marker looking south towards 1st Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 4, 2016
5. View of marker looking south towards 1st Street.
The view north on Lanier Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 4, 2016
6. The view north on Lanier Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement