Glenrock in Converse County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Deer Creek Station
The station began with Joseph Bissonette’s Trading Post, also known as Dakota City. The mountain man’s store, post office, blacksmith shop, corrals, and hotel-saloon, served the needs of a variety of visitors. They included photographer William Henry Jackson during his days as a freighter, stage passengers such as British author, Sir Richard Burton, a party of Lutheran missionaries who remained in the area from 1859-1864, troops en route to Salt Lake City during the Utah war and in the winter of 1859-1860, an expedition of the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers under Captain William F. Raynolds. From 1857 to 1861, the post also was a trading center for the nearby Upper Platte Indian Agency, located about three and a half miles upstream along Deer Creek.
Beginning in April of 1860, Pony Express Riders exchanged mounts here at Deer Creek Station. The Pony Express experiment, however, ended abruptly in October 1861. The completion of the first transcontinental telegraph meant that clicking telegraph keys quickly replaced pounding hooves.
Indian-white hostilities escalated after the Civil War began,
Erected by Wyoming State Parks & Cultural Resources.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oregon Trail marker series.
Location. 42° 51.612′ N, 105° 52.314′ W. Marker is in Glenrock, Wyoming, in Converse County. Marker is on South 4th Street (Business Route 25), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Cedar Street, Glenrock WY 82637, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ferdinand V. Hayden (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock in the Glen (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alah H. Unthank (approx. 4.8 miles away); Ada Magill (approx. 5.4 miles away); Big Muddy Oil Field (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.