Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas in Converse County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Douglas

 
 
Douglas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
1. Douglas Marker
Inscription. Douglas was founded as a result of the Fremont, Elkhart and Missouri Valley Railroad extension through central Wyoming in 1886. The railroad's objective was to access the mining and cattle-rich areas of Wyoming.
On August 22, 1886, the railroad reached what was to be known as the new town of Douglas. Incorporated on October 33, 1887, Douglas was named after Senator Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois.
During its first year of existence, Douglas was known as "The Gateway City," because it was the end of-the-line for the FE&MV Railroad and the door through which the resources of Central Wyoming could push through to eastern markets.
Today, Douglas remains a gateway in a different sense - it is a community in the center of a number of interesting historic and natural attractions, a community with many doors through which visitors can move to find entertainment, adventure, inspiration, and insight.
 
Erected by Douglas Chamber of Commerce.
 
Location. 42° 45.558′ N, 105° 23.274′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Wyoming, in Converse County. Marker is on Brownfield Road (County Route 61) near West Center Street (Business Interstate 25), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Brownfield Road, Douglas WY 82633, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Douglas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
2. Douglas Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) Wooden Caboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago & Northwestern Railway (C&NW) Steel Sheathed Wooden Day Coach (within shouting distance of this marker); Good Roads Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive #5633 (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairmont Motor Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Pacific Railroad Baggage Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) Dining Car (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located on the grounds of the Douglas Chamber of Commerce and Converse County Visitors Information Center.
 
Also see . . .  History of Douglas. Douglas served as headquarters and shipping point for the cattle and sheep industry which had developed on the vast prairie and mountain pastures. The town dwindled as the railroad construction moved further west and Douglas stayed mostly unchanged for the next 70 years. (Submitted on January 8, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement