Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Golinsville in Caroline County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Golansville Quaker Meetinghouse

 
 
Golansville Quaker Meetinghouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, March 26, 2008
1. Golansville Quaker Meetinghouse Marker
Inscription. Pioneers in asserting the right to religious freedom, the Caroline Friends (Quakers) held their first meeting nearby on 12 March 1739 together with their partner, Cedar Creek Friends Meeting of Hanover County. At a meeting on 9 May 1767, members issued a call to their fellow Quakers to end slaveholding, the first such movement in Virginia. The Friends' testimony against slavery contributed to declining membership as many immigrated west to free states. The Caroline Friends continued to use their meetinghouse and burying ground until 1853. They then joined Cedar Creek and ultimately became Richmond Friends Meeting.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-110.)
 
Location. 37° 58.798′ N, 77° 30.05′ W. Marker is in Golinsville, Virginia, in Caroline County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) south of Cedar Fork Road (Virginia Route 601), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ruther Glen VA 22546, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dickinson's Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clark Family Farm (approx. 2.9 miles away); Maneuvering to the North Anna River (approx. 2.9 miles away); York: Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 2.9 miles away); Carmel Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Grantís Operations (approx. 3.7 miles away); William Clark Birthplace (approx. 4.8 miles away); A Night of Agony (approx. 6.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRAntebellum South, USChurches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,054 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area photo of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement