Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cheyenne in Laramie County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Camp Carlin

 
 
Camp Carlin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 19, 2015
1. Camp Carlin Marker
Inscription. Camp Carlin or Cheyenne Depot, 1867-1890, was 2nd largest quartermaster depot in the United States. In Wyoming it supplied Forts Russell, Sanders, Steele, Bridger, Washakie, Fetterman, Laramie, McKinney and Phil Kearny; in Nebraska, Forts Sidney, Omaha Robinson; in Utah, Fort Douglas; in Idaho, Fort Hall; and Meeker Colorado. It supplied annuity goods for Indian tribes, Particularly the Red Cloud and Spotted Tail Agencies. Site 1/4 mile west. 1/4 mile south.
 
Erected 1957 by Historical Landmark Commission of Wyoming.
 
Location. 41° 8.203′ N, 104° 50.857′ W. Marker is in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in Laramie County. Marker is on Happy Jack Road (State Highway 210) near Carlin Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4038 Happy Jack Road, Cheyenne WY 82001, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "Buffalo Soldiers" (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Military 1867-1949 (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Military 1867-1890 (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Military 1949-Present (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cheyenne's Early Fire Companies
Camp Carlin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 19, 2015
2. Camp Carlin Marker
(approx. 1.3 miles away); 1980 Capitol North National Historic District (approx. 1.3 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Durant Bell (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheyenne.
 
Also see . . .  Camp Carlin - FortWiki. Camp Carlin (1867-1889) - First established in 1867 as Cheyenne Depot by Captain Elias B. Carling (Cullum 1834), (Bvt. Lieutenant Colonel; Colonel) to supply adjacent Fort D.A. Russell (2) and thirteen other western forts. Abandoned in 1889. Also known as Cheyenne Ordnance Depot and Camp at Cheyenne. (Submitted on January 10, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement