Montego Bay, Saint James, Jamaica
Montego Bay History
The area was settled by the Taino. Columbus arrived in 1494 on the 2nd voyage, anchored in the bay and called it Golfo de Buen Tiempo or the Gulf of Good Weather. The Spanish used it to ship Manteca or Lard from the slaughtering of wild hogs. The name Montego is derived from the Bay of Lard or Manteca. The town played roles in the second Maroon War 1795-1796 and again in the 1831-1832 rebellions by the enslaved against slavery. Since the start of the 20th century it became a major international tourist destination.
Erected by Jamaica National Heritage Trust.
Location. 18° 28.715′ N, 77° 55.586′ W. Marker is in Montego Bay, Saint James. Marker is on Fort Street just from Gloucester Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Montego History (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Montego Cannons (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Montego Armoury (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, Non-US •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.