Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lindsborg in McPherson County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

A Brief History of Early Lindsborg

 
 
A Brief History of Early Lindsborg Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 10, 2016
1. A Brief History of Early Lindsborg Marker
Inscription.

THE FIRST SWEDISH AGRICULTURAL COMPANY was formed in Chicago in early 1868. The Company, with the assistance of Railroad Agents, purchased 13,160 acres of land here in the Smoky Valley, and sent Anders Olsson, A. Jacobson, L. N. Sandell, Magnus Carlson, Peter Peterson, and John Ferm to Kansas arriving in February of 1868, according to the town's first early historian, Dr. Alfred Bergin.

The group quickly fell in love with the Smoky Valley and made claim on land provided by the Union Pacific Railroad as homesteads or by sale. These early settlers lived in dugouts and hastily built shelters while they built the Bolaghuset (Company House) east of Coronado Heights, as well as their own homes.

The Company first decided to build the town in Section 7, a mile northwest of the present city where the church was to be built.

Upon the arrival of Magnus Carlson's brother-in-law C. R. Carlson in December of 1868, the group was persuaded to move the new town site to where it is presently located on the banks of the Smoky Hill River.

C. R. Carlson soon wrote a letter to his close friend Rev. Olof Olsson in Sweden to come to America and become the first Pastor of the church which was to be built in Section 7. Pastor Olsson accepted and brought 250 Swedes with him to America, with around 105 locating in the Smoky Valley. Pastor Olsson's

A Brief History of Early Lindsborg Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 10, 2016
2. A Brief History of Early Lindsborg Marker
Looking NNE along the Všlkommen Trail
group arrived in June of 1869.

It was Pastor Olsson who provided the leadership to incorporate the new settlement as the town of Lindsborg.

This trail was completed and dedicated during the summer of 2006. The population of Lindsborg at that time was 3,321.
 
Erected by Lindsborg Community Foundation.
 
Location. 38° 34.422′ N, 97° 40.325′ W. Marker is in Lindsborg, Kansas, in McPherson County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Street and the Všlkommen Trail, on the right when traveling west on Lincoln Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lindsborg KS 67456, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Evangelical Covenant Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lindsborg Post Office (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Den Svenska Timmerstugan (about 800 feet away); Our Founders in Architectural Heaven (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hjerpe Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holmberg and Johnson Blacksmith & Wagonshop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Lucia Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Farmers State Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lindsborg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lindsborg, Kansas: Little Sweden USA. (Submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Svensk Hyllningsfest, Lindsborg KS. (Submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Bethany College's Swedish Heritage. (Submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. The Všlkommen Trail, Lindsborg KS. (Submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
5. The Všlkommen Trail, Lindsborg KS. (Submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement