Fort Eustis in Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“Magnolia House” - Chief of Transportation's Quarters
The US Government bought the property in 1918 from Charles Bailey who had owned the home and land since 1908 and the area became known as Camp Abraham Eustis. The area near the house was used for the Balloon Observation School throughout WWI. In the 1920s and early 1930s the house was used both as officers quarters and at times the Officers' Club. During the latter half of the 1930s the house was used as a staff residence for other federal agencies after the Army closed Camp Eustis, but in 1940 the needs of the Army once again reopened the base and it was named Fort Eustis. The house was renovated for use as officers' quarters while the Officers' club was located next to it. The house became the permanent residence for the Chief of Transportation in the 1950s and in May of 1970 was officially
In 2010, the Transportation Center was moved from Fort Eustis to Fort Lee. The historic home was subsequently demolished and replaced by a b and stand for summer concerts. The new Magnolia House constructed on Fort Lee has housed the Chief of Transportation since September 2010.
Location. 37° 9.958′ N, 76° 36.333′ W. Marker is in Fort Eustis, Virginia, in Newport News. Marker is on Lee Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Eustis VA 23604, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Matthew Jones House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Matthew Jones House (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Rolfe (approx. 1.2 miles away); Glebe Lands (approx. 1½ miles away); Felker Army Airfield (approx. 1.7 miles away); Stanley Hundred (approx. 1.8 miles away); Balthrope (approx. 1.8 miles away); Skiffes Creek (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Eustis.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.