Fort Eustis in Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Matthew Jones House
Matthew Jones, an early settler of Mulberry Island, owned this tract by the mid-seventeenth century. He also operated a mill at the head of Poquoson River in York County. His grandson Matthew Jones II (1690-1728), of Isle of Wight County, inherited the land and built this house about 1725. A cousin lived here until Jones's sone Scervant Jones inherited the estate, including livestock and slaves. Scervant Jones, who died in 1773, served as a county magistrate and tobacco inspector. His son, Allen Jones, was a Yorktown merchant and lived here during the American Revolution until his death in 1787. Bourbon then passed through several owners; Colonel Thomas Tabb acquired it in 1887 from Henry Francis. Tabb sold it in 1893 to William R. Webb, who remodeled the house. In 1917, when Camp Eustis was established, the U.S. Army used Bourbon as a weather station and for officers' housing.
Bourbon is the only known surviving earthfast structure in Virginia. Its design reflects the transition
Erected 2007 by Newport News Foundersí Trail.
Location. 37° 9.603′ N, 76° 36.166′ W. Marker is in Fort Eustis, Virginia, in Newport News. Marker can be reached Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Eustis VA 23604, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Matthew Jones House (within shouting distance of this marker); "Magnolia House" - Chief of Transportation's Quarters (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Rolfe (approx. 0.8 miles away); Glebe Lands (approx. 1.3 miles away); Felker Army Airfield (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mulberry Point & Sir Thomas West (approx. 1.6 miles away); Stanley Hundred (approx. 1.9 miles away); Balthrope (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Eustis.
Also see . . . A rare look at Fort Eustis' historic Matthew Jones House. This article, by Mark St. John Erickson, was published in the Daily Press (Newport News, VA) on October 19, 2015. (Submitted on January 23, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 23, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.