Estellville Glass Factory
Estell Manor Park
The Estellville Glass Factory operated from 1825 until 1877. The glassworks was made up of about fifteen buildings. The Pot House, the Melting Furnace, and the Flattening House, and Lime Kiln were used in the glass-making operation, and workers lived in ten to twelve nearby houses. The ruins that remain are the Pot House, the Melting Furnace, and Flattening House.
The glassworks was built by John H. Scott in 1825, on land owned by the Estells. Daniel E. Estell bought the business in 1834; his brother John and his brother-in-law Josiah Franklin also owned shares. The Estells lived in the John Estell House and the Estell Mansion in the village of Estellville, along what is now Route 50. The houses still stand, as does the company store and a Methodist church, a one-room school, a sawmill and a grist mill have disappeared.
The Estells owned their own sailing vessels, docked
The Estellville Glass Factory is unique among early South Jersey glass factories in its construction of native sandstone with brick-headed arches. Because of the nature of the glass-making process, many glass factories were lost to fire. The masonry construction at Estellville
(Inscription under the image in the upper right)
Window glass cylinders being blown at a melting furnace
Location. 39° 23.48′ N, 74° 44.51′ W. Marker is in Estell Manor, New Jersey, in Atlantic County. Marker is on New Jersey Route 50. Touch for map. The marker is located on Purple Heart Drive within the park. Marker is in this post office area: Estell Manor NJ 08319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Pot House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Flattening House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Melting Furnace (about 300 feet away); The Daniel Estell House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welcome to Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor! (approx. half a mile away); The Estellville Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Bethlehem Loading Co. (approx. 1.1 miles away); George Wheaton’s Shipyard (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Estell Manor.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.