Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Stone Presbyterian Church

Erected 1788

 

—Branch of Opequon Church (organized 1736) —

 
Old Stone Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 18, 2015
1. Old Stone Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.
Congregation organized, 1800, with 40 members; Rev. William Hill, D.D., Minister; Elders: Col. Henry Beatty, John Bell, James Holliday, Joseph Gamble, Robert Gray.

Synod of Virginia met here, 1790. (Its second regular session) and twelve times subsequently.

General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church met here, 1799.

Winchester Presbytery organized here, 1794.

First Sunday School south of Pennsylvania organized here, 1815.

Gen. Daniel Morgan, of Revolutionary fame, was a member of this church and was buried in the adjoining cemetery.

This building used by Presbyterians until 1834; by the Baptists, 1834-1858; by Old School Baptist Church of Color, 1858-1886; by Federal troops as a stable during War between the States when it was damaged by shell fire; by Public School for Negro Children, 1875-1929; by National Guard as armory, 1929-1940.
Restored, 1941-1950, under the leadership of
Clifford D. Grim
1891-1950
Deacon in the Loudoun Street Church, 1927-1950
in whose memory this tablet is erected, 1951.

 
Erected 1951.
 
Location. 39° 11.119′ N, 78° 9.592′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is
Old Stone Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 18, 2015
2. Old Stone Presbyterian Church Marker
at the intersection of East Piccadilly Street and North East Lane, on the left when traveling east on East Piccadilly Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 E Piccadilly St, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General Daniel Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Baker Lot And Virginia City Addition (within shouting distance of this marker); The Virginia Woolen Company and Lewis Jones Knitting Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Taylor F. Finley (about 300 feet away); Third Battle of Winchester (about 300 feet away); The Early Education Of Black Students In Winchester (about 300 feet away); Original Land Grant (about 400 feet away); Lutheran Pioneers (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Also see . . .  Old Stone Church. (PDF) National Register Nomination Form, 1977. (Submitted on January 26, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
Old Stone Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 18, 2015
3. Old Stone Presbyterian Church
Old Stone Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 18, 2015
4. Old Stone Presbyterian Church
Daniel Morgan Statue<br>at the Old Stone Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 18, 2015
5. Daniel Morgan Statue
at the Old Stone Church
“Fought everywhere, was beaten nowhere”
Old Stone Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 18, 2015
6. Old Stone Church
has been registered as a
Virginia
Historic
Landmark
Pursuant to authority vested in the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Act of 1966

The Rev. G. Raymond Womeldorf
Pastor
1950 - 1982
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 26, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement