The Tie That Binds
Religious Inﬂuence-Historic Settlements
As a result of this chance meeting, a small society of Christian believers formed at the Head of the Tuckahoe River. By 1781, the society was meeting in the sawmill of Jeremiah and William Smith not far from the location of the present church. Within a few short years, the society outgrew the sawmill and it became necessary to begin thinking about building a house of worship. The new building, still under construction, was dedicated in 1792.
With the church as a focal point, surrounding communities prospered for more than a century. By the late 1930s, new modes of transportation and routes of travel forever altered the future of the area. Local industries and business began vanishing, families moved away, and houses and farms slowly disappeared---bringing about the regression of the Head of the River, Methodist Episcopal Church. Traces of these former industrial enterprises can still be found with careful observation.
Erected by National Park Service and NJ Division of Parks and Forestry.
Location. 39° 18.68′ N, 74° 49.366′ W. Marker is in Estell Manor, New Jersey, in Atlantic County. Marker is on Head of the River Road (NJ 649). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Estell Manor NJ 08319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Head of the River Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Etna (Aetna) Furnace (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Flattening House (approx. 7 miles away); The Melting Furnace (approx. 7 miles away); The Pot House (approx. 7 miles away); The Daniel Estell House (approx. 7 miles away); Estellville Glass Factory (approx. 7 miles away); The Estellville Methodist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Estell Manor.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 26, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.