Montego Bay, Saint James, Jamaica
Fort Montego History
The fort was originally built in 1750; it was then known as Fort Frederick, later as Fort George. Fort Montego designed by European engineers, was built by enslaved Jamaicans to guard the town of Montego Bay.
Built in the shape of a polygon, the traditional shape of forts, it had a battery armed with cannons and a barracks to house 100 men. It also had an armoury for weapons and ammunition as well as a small hospital with 40 beds. It was last manned in 1832.
Erected by Jamaica National Heritage Trust.
Location. 18° 28.709′ N, 77° 55.563′ W. Marker is in Montego Bay, Saint James. Marker can be reached from Fort Street just from Gloucester Avenue. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Montego Cannons (within shouting distance of this marker); Montego Bay History (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Montego Armoury (within shouting distance of this marker).
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.