Friends Meeting House and Burying Ground
At the monthly meeting of the Friends dated Jan. 1, 1731, it was concluded that “ye meeting for worship shall be removed from John Sculls (house) and shall henceforth be kept in ye meeting house by James Somers’es.”
James Somers (1695-1761) gave by will in 1758 “one acre of land to the people called Quakers for a meeting house and burying ground, whereon the Meeting House now stands forevermore.”
The meeting house stood until about 1868. Central Methodist Episcopal Church was given permission to use the cemetery in 1860 and received the deed from the Quakers in 1944. The Friend-Central Cemetery Association was organized in 1941.
Erected by Friends-Central Cemetery Assn, Central United Methodist Church and south Jersey Friends.
Location. 39° 21.394′ N, 74° 33.629′ W. Marker is in Linwood, New Jersey, in Atlantic County. Marker is on Shore Road just south of Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Linwood NJ 08221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Linwood Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Leedsville Schoolhouse
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.