Step into the Past
Double Trouble Village
Take a walk through the village and imagine what it would have been like to live and work (or go to school) in a small, self-contained company town.
(Inscriptions under the photo in the center)
Pickers Cottage (c. 1940) Pickersí cottages housed seasonal workers-including family groups. Every year 30-40 migrant workers arrived on Labor Day weekend and stayed until Thanksgiving. They worked exclusively in the bogs handpicking cranberries. This building is now an information center with restrooms.
Company Foremanís House (c. 1900) This was the year-round home of the “head” foreman who oversaw the management of the cranberry and sawmill operations.
Double Trouble School (operated 1893-1915) This one room school is the oldest remaining structure in the village. It was established to serve the children of the lumbering community and survived to serve the children of the cranberry workers.
Burke House (c. 1900) This was the home
Garage and Machine Shop. The oldest part of this structure housed the blacksmith and repair shop for the cranberry and sawmill operations. Today, this building houses park operations and maintenance shop.
Cranberry Sorting and Packing House (Built 1909-1916, with additions in 1919 and 1921-25) This building was the hub of the cranberry harvest. Here, hand-scoped cranberries were sorted according to size and quality and then packed for market.
General Store (c. 1920) The general store provided the early villagers with staples such as oatmeal, flour, pork and sugar. From the 1930s until it closed, convenience items like candy, cigarettes and gloves were sold.
Shower Room. The shower room was a shared facility, with separate menís and womenís rooms. Each room had two shower stalls. The womenís side also had a laundry sink.
Bunk House (c. 1900) Also called the “communal house” this is where single workers lived during the seasonal cranberry harvest. ---Pickersí Cottage (1953).
This exhibit was supported by the National Park Serviceís Challenge Cost Share Program. Village photograph courtesy of George Chase. Historic photographs courtesy of New Jersey Archives, Department of State. Special thanks to George Burke for
Erected by National Park Service and New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry.
Location. 39° 53.795′ N, 74° 13.369′ W. Marker is in Bayville, New Jersey, in Ocean County. Marker is on Double Trouble Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bayville NJ 08721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pineland Industries (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Double Trouble State Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Exploring The Pinelands (about 300 feet away); Anchor from the Aircraft Carrier USS Randolph CV-15 (approx. 4 miles away); Captain Joshua Huddy (approx. 4 miles away); Preserving Baymen Heritage (approx. 4.1 miles away); Toms River Block House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Old Revolutionary Cannon (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bayville.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 3, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.