The Train Station & Smith’s Forest
The Smithville railroad station stood nearly a half-mile below the creek and the main section of the village. The Jacksonville-Vincentown Road crossed the tracks nearby and connected the station with the upper village.
Turning north from the train station and traveling the main road toward the upper village, one could see a large stand of hardwood trees which began two-hundred or so yards to the east. Known as “Smith’s Forest,” this grove served the workers as one of the main recreation areas in the village. The forest consisted mainly of mature beech trees covering about forty acres on the dry upland area south of the Rancocas Creek. Residents took walks and drives among the trees, making it more of a pleasure park than anything else.
This area provided a pleasant refuge during the summer and groups from Mount Holly, as well as local villagers frequented these woods. Smith charged no admission to the forest and revelers often held picnics and dances here.
(Inscription under the images at the top)
(Inscription in the upper right)
“Smith’s Forest was a popular destination not only for those living in Smithville but also from neighboring towns, such as Mount Holly.
“H.B. Smith Esquire of Smithville as his usual progressive spirit has been laying out his woods between his place and Evansville in a neat, beautiful manner.” Mount Holly Herald, August 1, 1874
(Inscription beside the image on the right)
Left: A view of the railroad tower. Right: The Smithville railroad station seen about 1900. This station building was built in 1884, replacing an earlier structure.
Location. 39° 58.821′ N, 74° 44.965′ W. Marker is in Eastampton, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Smithville Road and Railroad Avenue on Smithville Road. Touch for map. This marker is on the grounds of Historic Smithville Park. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Holly NJ 08060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smithville Lower Village (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); An Industrial Village (approx. half a mile away); Smithville Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Historic Smithville Park (approx. half a mile away); The Battle of Iron Works Hill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Battle of Ironworks Hill (approx. 2 miles away); Girard House (was approx. 2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Fire Company (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastampton.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.