Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stamford in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First AQHA Show

American Quarter Horse Historical Marker

 
 
First AQHA Show Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
1. First AQHA Show Marker
Inscription. The first American Quarter Horse Association-approved show was held here on July 2-4, 1940, in conjunction with the Texas Cowboy Reunion. AQHA had just been organized and incorporated in March of the same year in Fort Worth. DEL RIO JOE, a 1936 grandson of HARMON BAKER by PETER McCUE won the Stallions Foaled Prior to May 1, 1938 class and was named Grand Champion of the show. DEL RIO JOE was owned by Bob Denhardt and shown by Tinker Allbright.

Winning the Geldings Foaled Prior to May 1, 1938 class was PUNKIN, owned by Jess Slaughter. Ramon Wood's BREEZY D was the best of the Mares Foaled Prior to May 1, 1938. JIGGS II won first in the class of Stallions and Mares Foaled On or After May 1, 1938, for his owner, George A. Clegg. Jim Minnick, first AQHA inspector, judged the show.

American Quarter Horses are now competing in horse shows around the world and are in demand for racing, ranch work, rodeo, recreational riding and many other activities. AQHA is the world's largest equine breed registry, with its international headquarters located in Amarillo, Texas.

American Quarter Horse Heritage Center & Museum, Amarillo, Texas

 
Erected 1995 by American Quarter Horse Association. (Marker Number AQHHMP #1.)
 
Marker series.
Entrance to Grounds of Texas Cowboy Reunion image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
2. Entrance to Grounds of Texas Cowboy Reunion
Marker is on right side of entrance
This marker is included in the American Quarter Horse Markers marker series.
 
Location. 32° 56.59′ N, 99° 48.973′ W. Marker is in Stamford, Texas, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of W. McHarg Street (Business U.S. 277) and Farm to Market Road 2834, on the right when traveling south on W. McHarg Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stamford TX 79553, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "The Poet Ranchman" Larry Chittenden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas Cowboy Reunion Oldtimers' Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stamford (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Swenson Land and Cattle Company Headquarters (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John's Methodist (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Mackenzie Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Arledge Field (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stamford.
 
Also see . . .  American Quarter Horse Association - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on February 7, 2016.)
 
Categories. AgricultureAnimals
 
Intersection of W. McHarg Street and Farm-to-Market Road 2834 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
3. Intersection of W. McHarg Street and Farm-to-Market Road 2834
Marker at west corner of intersection
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement