Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg in Grant County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Petersburg

 
 
Petersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
1. Petersburg Marker
Inscription. Settled about 1745. Near by was Fort George, Indian fort. Federal trenches overlooked the town in 1863 and 1864. Here is grave of Rev. W. N. Scott, pioneer preacher, who built churches at Old Fields, Morefield, and Petersburg.
 
Location. 38° 59.567′ N, 79° 7.26′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, West Virginia, in Grant County. Marker is on Virginia Avenue (West Virginia Route 55) east of Main Street (U.S. 220), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg WV 26847, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Mulligan (within shouting distance of this marker); Maple Hill Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); War in Grant County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fairfax Line (approx. one mile away); A Strategic Location (approx. 1.1 miles away); Civil War Cannons (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Irish Brigade & the McNeill Rangers / The Civil War Comes to Hardy County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Welcome to Fort Mulligan Civil War Site (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Grant County History. “Petersburg became the county seat in 1870. When the first post
Petersburg Marker at the Old Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
2. Petersburg Marker at the Old Courthouse
office was opened within present-day Petersburg in 1833 the town was renamed Lunice Creek because Virginia already had a Petersburg. The town was incorporated in 1845 as Lunice Creek. The town's original name was restored when West Virginia became a state.” (Submitted on July 17, 2008.) 

2. Old Courthouse. (PDF) National Register documentation for the old courthouse. (Submitted on October 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraWar, US Civil
 
World War Memorial In Front of Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
3. World War Memorial In Front of Courthouse
1927 limestone statue is approx. 5 foot 10 inches tall on a 5 foot base. Brass tablet reads, “Dedicated to the men of Grant County who gave their lives in the service of their country during the World War. — John Aronhalt, Clarence A. Blackburn, Rufus Blair, Carl B. Davis, Seaton S. Elliott, Alva Harris, Charles L. Harvey, Clyde O. Iman, Marvin G. Jones, William O. Kesner, John H. Kimble, Frank Kitzmiller, William H. Mason, Roy E. Michael, Elburn W. Mongold, William Neel, Harry G. Riggleman, John G. Roby, Otis F. Rohrbaugh, Olin L. Shillingburg, Tony W. Shillingburg, Lafayette C. Smith, Lee R. Strawderman, George H. Timmerman.”
The Old Grant County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
4. The Old Grant County Courthouse
National Register Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
5. National Register Plaque
The old courthouse is on the National Register.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,533 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on October 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement