Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newville in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First United Presbyterian Church and Manse

 
 
First United Presbyterian Church and Manse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 18, 2016
1. First United Presbyterian Church and Manse Marker
Inscription. In June of 1762 a representative from the Big Spring Associate Presbyterian congregation was "craving support of sermon" from Presbytery. This congregation first worshiped on the east side of the Big Spring. Known as the "the tent," their house of worship was a board roof without siding. In 1772 a log church was built here, followed by a stone church in 1790 and a brick church in 1826. A 2-story brick church with pastor's study, lecture room, and prayer meeting room on the first floor and sanctuary on the second followed in 1868.

Part of the present structure was completed in 1883. It included a Sabbath School room, sanctuary with spectacular stained glass windows, and a 1011 pound bell donated by the citizens of Newville. Additions were in 1930, 1964 and 1989.

The 1859 manse was first occupied by Rev. W.I. Wallace who is remembered for his prayers for the success of the Union army. Southern sympathizers in his congregation warned him not to do that again! The first bathroom in Newville was installed here for the family of Rev. George Reed, Mrs. Reed was the first person to call the parsonage the "Manse."

The graveyard behind the church was closed in 1922 and the bodies re-interred elsewhere.
 
Location. 40° 10.1′ N, 77° 24.069′ 
First United Presbyterian Church and Manse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 18, 2016
2. First United Presbyterian Church and Manse Marker
W. Marker is in Newville, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on West Big Spring Avenue 0.1 miles south of Cedar Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newville PA 17241, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Byers-Eckels House (a few steps from this marker); Newville Trolley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); State Police School (about 500 feet away); Big Spring Hotel (about 500 feet away); Newville War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First National Bank of Newville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Big Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Denning (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
First United Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 18, 2016
3. First United Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement