Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
The Plaza of the Priests
La Plazoleta de los Curas
La llamada Plazoleta de los Curas es el recinto abierto de la antigua Claustra o claustro de la misma Catedral, trazada en 1541 por el Reverendísimo Licenciado Don Alonso de Fuenmayor, obispo de esta Diócesis Primada, Presidente a la vez de nuestra Real Audiencia y Chancillería, y luego primer arzobispo del Arzobispado de Santo Domingo.
En su entorno fueron construidas algunas viviendas para uso de los ilustres Miembros del Excelentísimo Cabildo Eclesiástico. Fue utilizada como cementerio y restaurado en el año de 1969.
Tres Arquillos tenía la Plazoleta de los Curas, cuyas rejas respectivas se abrian cada mañana, al amanecer, y se cerraban al atardecer del crepúsculo de cada día.
Uno daba hacia la calle de la fortaleza que, desdichadamente, desapareció no ha mucho tiempo. De los dos que aún Subsisten, abrían el camino para ir los canónigos y racioneros que habitaban en dicha Plazoleta a ocupar sus cátedras en el Colegio Mayor de Hernando de Gorjón o a refrescarse en un paseo vespertino por la Alameda cercana al mar.
The so-called Plaza of the Priests is the open grounds of the old cloister of the nearby Cathedral, laid out in 1541 by the Reverend Alonso de Fuenmayor, bishop of the Primatial Diocese and President of our Royal Court and Chancery, and later the first archbishop of the Archdiocese
In the same area houses were built that were used by the distinguished members of the Ecclesiastical Council. It was also used as a cemetery and renovated in 1969.
The Plaza of the Priests originally had three small arched entryways, whose respective gates were opened each morning at sunrise and closed at sunset daily.
The arch facing the street to the fortress, unfortunately, has disappeared not long ago. Of the two that still remain, they were used by the priests who lived in the small square to take their places at the University of Hernando de Gorjón or to cool off on an afternoon walk along the road near the sea.
Location. 18° 28.36′ N, 69° 53.026′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo. Marker can be reached from Calle Isabel la Católica just from Calle Padre Billini. Touch for map. The marker is along the southern wall of the plaza when entering into the grounds of the First Cathedral of the Americas (Catedral Primada de América).
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cathedral of Santo Domingo, First of the Americas (within shouting distance of this marker); Pope John Paul II's 1979 Visit to Santo Domingo (within shouting distance of this marker); First City Hall in the Americas (about 90 meters Borgellá's Palace (about 120 meters away); First Municipal Council in the Americas (about 120 meters away); Antonio Maceo (about 150 meters away); Juan Pablo Duarte (about 210 meters away); The French Embassy (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 5. submitted on February 24, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.