Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pescadero in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero

 
 
Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 17, 2016
1. Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero Marker
Inscription. The Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero built between 1889 and 1890 is based on an interpretation of a design presented in a pattern book published by the church. No other Methodist Episcopal churches built from the same plan exist in this region.
The first church services were held on March 1, 1890 and ceased after 1906. The building substituted briefly for the local school damaged by the 1906 earthquake. In 1915, the abandoned church was considered a "white elephant" and the church agreed to sell it.
The building functioned only briefly in its intended religious purpose, but during its life span functioned as a community center, a Japanese cultural school and a fraternal hall.
In 1920, the Pescadero Social Center Corporation converted the church into a social center, eventually becoming a Japanese language and cultural school in 1928. Subsequently the Native Sons of the Golden West, Pebble Beach Parlor, and the Native Daughters of the Golden West, Año Nuevo Parlor purchased the building with the Año Nuevo Parlor surrendering their charter and interest in the building in 1998.
Today through the cooperative efforts of the Native Sons of the Golden West, Pebble Beach Parlor #230 and the Pescadero Historical Society, this building still serves as a community center and meeting hall.
 
Erected
Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 17, 2016
2. Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero and Marker
2009 by Native Sons of the Golden West, Historic Landmarks Committee. (Marker Number 2008-12.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 37° 15.06′ N, 122° 22.962′ W. Marker is in Pescadero, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Stage Road near Pescadero Creek Rosd, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Stage Road, Pescadero CA 94060, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Duarte's Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero (about 400 feet away); First Congregational Church of Pescadero (approx. ¼ mile away); Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park (approx. 4.8 miles away); Pigeon Point Lighthouse (approx. 4.8 miles away); San Gregorio House (approx. 5.2 miles away); Apple Jack's Inn (approx. 7.6 miles away); Inverson Cabin Site (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pescadero.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 17, 2016
3. Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement