New Windsor in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2015 by Orange County American Legion & Orange County Veterans Coalition.
Location. 41° 29.683′ N, 74° 6.088′ W. Marker is in New Windsor, New York, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Bruenig Rd and International Blvd., on the left when traveling north on Bruenig Rd. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Windsor NY 12553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Freedom Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); Falls House Site (approx. 1.3 miles away); Little Britain, N.Y. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hutsites 1782-1783 (approx. 2.5 miles away); Mulliner Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Unknown Soldier (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Land (approx. 2.7 miles away); "The Publick Building Called the Temple" (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Windsor.
More about this marker. Marker is located on the roads leading to the main entrance of Stewart International Airport, formerly Stewart Field.
Regarding Bruenig Road. Lt. Bruenig was from Stamford Ct. and was assigned to help train cadets to fly. He was here only a short time the field was dedicated on Aug 25, 1942 his 22nd birthday. He was skilled pilot at 19 yrs of age. He was buried at his hometown in Ct.
“On the morning of Aug. 28, 1942 Lt. Breunig was assigned USMA Cadet Richard H. Huser of the second flying class. They took off from Stewart Field shortly before 10 AM on a routine training flight when the BT-13A Vultee trainer began to develop engine trouble. Lt. Breunig was able to maintain flight while he had Cade Hauser bail out.
The plane crashed on a farm near Walden.
Categories. • Disasters • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2016, by Glenn Marshall of New Windsor, New York. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 36 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 25, 2016, by Glenn Marshall of New Windsor, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.