Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
House of the Jesuits
Casa de los Jesuitas
Asiento del Colegio de la Compañía de Jesus, fundado por Juan Jeronimo de Ribera y Quesada y provisto de licencia real el 23 de septiembre de 1701, erigido en Universidad y estudio general, con las mismas facultades y privilegios que gozaba la que se fundó en el Colegio de Gorjón el 23 de ferero de 1558. El Colegio se convirtió en la Universidad Real y Pontificia en Santiago de la Paz y de Gorjón en los años 1747 y 1748
House of the Jesuits. Founding location of the College of the Company of Jesus, founded by Juan Jeronimo de Ribera y Quesada and given a royal license on September 23, 1701. It was changed to a University and house of general studies, with the same rights and privileges as that founded as the College of Gorjón on February 23, 1558. The College was converted into the Royal and Pontifical University of Santiago de la Paz y Gorjón during the years 1747 and 1748.
Location. 18° 28.528′ N, 69° 52.985′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional. Marker is on Calle Mercedes just from Calle Las Damas, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional 10210, Dominican Republic.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Chapel of Our Lady of the Remedies (a few steps from this marker); The Residence of Treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dávila House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pantheon of the Nation (within shouting distance of this marker); Palace of the Governors (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colonial City of Santo Domingo (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Christopher Columbus' Last Residence (about 120 meters away); The French Embassy (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 28, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.