Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jefferson in Union County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

St. Peter's Church

Jefferson

 
 
St. Peter's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, February 20, 2016
1. St. Peter's Church Marker
Inscription. The vicinity of Jefferson, even before the organization of Dakota Territory in 1861, was a French - Canadian community and Catholic services were held sporadically prior to the advent of Father Pierre Boucher in 1867. In 1862 a small log building north of the present church was used as a school house and church where services were held. Father Boucher had a pastorate extending over a vast area of south-eastern Dakota and about twenty-five French-Canadian families formed the nucleus of his congregation here. Soon after his coming, a large wooden church was built and served until 1890, when the present fine church was erected during the pastorate of Father Cyrille St. Pierre. Father Boucher died in 1900 at Quebec. The Reverend Charles F. Robinson was the pastor from 1894 until 1924 and he lies buried in the adjacent church yard, whose grave stones abounding the names of parishioners and tells a story of its own. In 1889 a school and convent were built and these were replaced by the present parochial school building in 1951. The large wooden cross in the cemetery is a replacement for the rude cross placed therein in May, 1876, when Father Boucher led a eleven mile pilgrimage ending in the church yard at Jefferson, invoking divine aid against the besetting grasshopper plague.
 
Erected 1966 by In
St. Peter's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, February 20, 2016
2. St. Peter's Church Marker
Memory of the Forest C. Roach Family.
 
Location. 42° 36.229′ N, 96° 33.62′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, South Dakota, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 Main Street, Jefferson SD 57038, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grasshopper Cross (a few steps from this marker); Elk Point (approx. 8.6 miles away); Lewis & Clark Campsite / Eli Wixson Farm Site (approx. 8.7 miles away); Return to "Elk Sign" Campsite (approx. 8.7 miles away); Entering an Uncertain Land (approx. 8.7 miles away); A Land of Plenty (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 8.7 miles away); U.S. Democracy Crosses the Mississippi River (approx. 8.7 miles away).
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 28, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement