Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Barstow in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Stoddard Wells Road

 
 
Stoddard Wells Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, October 11, 2015
1. Stoddard Wells Road Marker
Inscription. Previous to the building of Stoddard Wells Road, the primary route of travel between the Fish Ponds (present-day Daggett) and Little Meadows (present-day Victorville) was by way of the Mojave River and Lane's Crossing. Although it later became known as Stoddard Wells Road, it was Lafayette Mecham, a Mormon pioneer who ran the station at Fish Ponds, who actually built the new route. In 1867 Mecham was awarded a contract to bring 100 tons of hay from Little Meadows to Camp Cady on the Mojave River. Camp Cady was located approximately 20 miles east of present-day Barstow. Rather than use the regularly travelled route along the Mojave River, Mecham cut a more direct road from Little Meadows to the Fish Ponds at Daggett. This new route cut off a large arc of the Mojave River route, thus shortening the distance between the two points. In addition, Mecham's road was built on firmer ground, as the Mojave River route had several areas of soft sand, which was difficult for heavily-laden wagons to negotiate. One of the disadvantages of the new route was the lack of water, after Sheldon Stoddard dug a well near this spot, the route became very popular with freighters and other travelers. The road came to be referred to first as Stoddard's Well Road, then Stoddard's Wells, and finally as Stoddard Wells Road. The new road crossed the Mojave River near
Stoddard Wells Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, October 11, 2015
2. Stoddard Wells Road Marker
present-day Sixth Street in Victorville, and linked up with the toll road through the Cajon Pass.
 
Erected 2015 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 156.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 34° 45.659′ N, 117° 0.625′ W. Marker is in Barstow, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Barstow Road (California Route 247), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barstow CA 92311, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slash X Ranch (here, next to this marker); The California Gold Rush (approx. 9.6 miles away); John Charles Fremont (approx. 9.6 miles away); National Old Trails Hwy/Route 66 (approx. 9.6 miles away); General Steven Watts Kearny (approx. 9.6 miles away); Kit Carson (approx. 9.6 miles away); Amiel Weeks Whipple (approx. 9.6 miles away); Jedediah Smith (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barstow.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Clampers Awaiting the Unveiling image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, October 11, 2015
3. Clampers Awaiting the Unveiling
Stoddard Wells Cistern image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 30, 2011
4. Stoddard Wells Cistern
Dedication Patch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 23, 1971
5. Dedication Patch
Dedication Patch image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, October 11, 2015
6. Dedication Patch
Stoddard Wells
Billy Holcomb 1069
Fall Doins 2015 - 6020
ECV
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2015, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 93 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 18, 2015, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement