Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Clintonville / Clinton Township
This community located in Section 2 of Clinton Township, was settled in 1813 by Thomas Bull. The land was formerly owned by John Rathbone for whom Rathbone Road is named. Its early growth was due largely to a number of “mechanics”- carpenters, blacksmiths, shoemakers and other craftsmen who purchased lots along the Columbus- Worthington Road (present North High Street) and established their homes and businesses. Clintonville, named for the township, soon became a thriving center of shops, schools, and churches. OnSeptember 13, 1847, the Clintonville Post Office was opened near this site. It served this community until July 14, 1917, when Columbus took over the mail service and the post office was closed. As a suburb of Ohio’s capital city, Clintonville has been recognized through the years for its progressive spirit and its friendliness.
Franklin County, Ohio
This township was organized July 1, 1811, and as far as research has been able to determine, was named in honor of George Clinton of New York, then Vice President of the Unites States under President James Madison. The township was part of the United States Military lands set aside by Congress in 1796 to satisfy the claims of soldiers who sereved in the
Erected 1960 by Clintonville Service Clubs Civitan North Kiwanis Lions Club Franklin County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 1.902′ N, 83° 0.93′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of North High (U.S. 23) and East North Broasway, on the right when traveling north on North High. Touch for map. marker was first set at this location in 1960. In 1971, it was moved to the Clintonville Woman's Club, due to construction. Recently (2014- 15) the marker was removed for renovation. It was reset at the original location. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 East North Broadway, Columbus OH 43214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. East North Broadway Historic District (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported permanently removed. Clinton Township High School / East North Broadway Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton Theater / Memory Lane (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rand P. Hollenback (approx. 0.7 miles away); Philo Webster and Webster Graveyard (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bill Moose (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dominion Land Company Mound An Early Woodlands Period Structure/Sunwall and Moonwall Murals (approx. 1.3 miles away); Coach Woody Hayes (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.