Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
 

The Colonial City of Santo Domingo

 
 
The Colonial City of Santo Domingo Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
1. The Colonial City of Santo Domingo Marker
Inscription.
La Ciudad Colonial de Santo Domingo fue declarada por la UNESCO Patrimonio Mundial

En la XIV reunión del Comité del Patrimonio Mundial celebrada en Banff, Canada en diciembre de 1990, por su influencia en la arquitectura y el urbanismo de América, por su valor histórica y por esta asociado a eventos y hechos de trascendencia universal.

La ciudad de Santo Domingo fue fundada por el Adelantado Don Bartolomé Colón el 5 de agosto de 1498 siguiendo instrucciones de los Reyes Católicos y de su Almirante Don Cristóbal Colón, en la margen oriental del Rio Ozama, siendo trasladada a la parte occidental del mismo por Nicolás de Ovando en 1502.

Su trazado urbano a damero sirvió de modelo a otras poblaciones españoles en el nuevo continente. La ciudad colonial de Santo Domingo posee importantes primicias americanas como son: La Real Audiencia y Chancillería, Ayuntamiento Estable, La Catedral Santa María de la Encarnación, El Monasterio de San Francisco, El Hospital San Nicolás de Bari y La Universidad de Santo Domingo, entre otros.

English translation:
The Colonial City of Santo Domingo was declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site

during the 14th meeting of the World Heritage Committee held in Banff, Canada in December 1990 for its influence on architecture and urbanism
The Colonial City of Santo Domingo Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
2. The Colonial City of Santo Domingo Marker
in the Americas, its historical value and its association with events and facts of universal significance.

The city of Santo Domingo was founded by Governor Bartolomé Colón on August 5, 1498 following the instructions of the Catholic Kings of Spain and his admiral Christopher Columbus, on the east bank of the Rio Ozama. It was transferred to the western bank of the river by Nicolas de Ovando in 1502.

Its urban, checkerboard layout served as a model for other Spanish populations in the new continent. The colonial city of Santo Domingo has important firsts in the Americas such as: the Royal Court and Chancery, the Town Hall, the Santa María Cathedral of the Incarnation and Monastery of San Francisco, the Hospital of San Nicolás de Bari and the University of Santo Domingo, among others.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization marker series.
 
Location. 18° 28.584′ N, 69° 52.983′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional. Marker can be reached from Calle Las Damas. Touch for map. The marker is on the left from the Royal Court building walking north towards the Residence of Diego Colón. Marker is in this post office area: Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional 10212, Dominican Republic.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Statue of Nicolás Ovando nearby image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 17, 2016
3. Statue of Nicolás Ovando nearby
This statue of Ovando (mentioned on the marker) reads: Frey Nicolas de Ovando (1451-1511), Gobernador de la isla Española, Comendador Mayor de la Orden de Alcantara, Fundador de la Nueva Ciudad de Santo Domingo

English: Nicolás de Ovando (1451-1511), Governor of the island Hispaniola, Commander Major of the Order of Alcántara, Founder of the new city of Santo Domingo
within walking distance of this marker. Palace of the Governors (within shouting distance of this marker); The Residence of Treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara (within shouting distance of this marker); Chapel of Our Lady of the Remedies (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); House of the Jesuits (about 90 meters away); Palace of the Viceroy Diego Colón (about 120 meters away); The Dávila House (about 120 meters away); The Pantheon of the Nation (about 150 meters away); Christopher Columbus' Last Residence (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
 
Categories. Colonial EraMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement