Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In December 1913, Oscar and Alice Burton joined real estate developer and future Sarasota mayor Arthur B. Edwards (1914-1915 and 1920-1921) and his wife Fannie in selling the land south of Hudson Bayou to the Sarasota Improvement Company. In 1915, the area, recorded as Avondale Heights Subdivision, was advertised as "a place for families of average means." To promote the development, a modern bungalow valued at $1500 was to be given away. The same advertisement offered 75 choice lots for $250, with an easy payment plan of $50 down and monthly payments of $10. Even with the special promotions, Avondale Heights developed slowly.
In 1923, Irving Bacheller, Edward Brewer, and Fred Woolley purchased the underdeveloped lots. In 1924, the Bacheller-Brewer Corporation re-platted the subdivision as Avondale, enlarged the lots, and widened the streets in an effort to make the area more upscale and exclusive. A painting by noted Chicago artist Gibson Catlett promoted Avondale as a place to "Come and Enjoy the Golden Sunset of Sarasota." During 1925, Avondale experienced impressive land sales and gained recognition as a premier subdivision in the Sarasota area.
Today the neighborhood boasts of some Colonial Revival style homes dating from the 1930s, but most of the homes appear tone from the 1950s and 1960s.
Erected by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Location. 27° 19.378′ N, 82° 31.833′ W. Marker is in Sarasota, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is at the intersection of Bahia Vista Street and Brewer Place, on the right when traveling west on Bahia Vista Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sarasota FL 34239, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain/Luke Wood Park (approx. half a mile away); The Wallendas (approx. 0.6 miles away); Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Seaboard Railway Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. Martha Mission Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Landing of the Scots (approx. 1.2 miles away); City of Sarasota (approx. 1.2 miles away); John D. MacDonald 1916-1986/John D. and the Friday Liars (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.