San Juan Bautista in San Benito County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Holding Cell for Drunks and Petty Offenders
Sheriffs transported law breakers to Monterey or Hollister until 1870. Then the town built a jail for minor violators. Originally located on 4th Street, this simple building served the town until 1941.
Supposedly, no one ever escaped. People stayed not because of the strong walls or door, but because breakfast was too good to miss.
This site originally held the barn of Patrick Breen. The family sold this land to California State Parks in 1933.
Celda para los Borrachos y Delincuentes
Los policías transportaban transgresores de la ley hacia Monterey o Hollister hasta 1870. Luego la ciudad construyó una cárcel para infracciones menores. Originalmente situado en la calle 4, este sencillo edificio sirvió a la ciudad hasta el 1941.
Supuestamente, nadie nunca se escapó. La gente decía que no era debido a los fuertes muros o la puerta, sino porque el desayuno era demasiado bueno para perderse.
Este sitio era originalmente la granja de Patrick Breen. En 1933, la familia vendió esta tierra al Parque Estatal de California.
Location. Touch for map. This building and the marker are in a little park area at the corner of Washington and 2nd. Marker is in this post office area: San Juan Bautista CA 95045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Castro - Breen Adobe (within shouting distance of this marker); Castro/Breen Adobe and Plaza Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); San Juan Bautista Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans of the World War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Anza House (about 300 feet away); El Camino Real Bell (was about 300 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Progress Becomes History (about 400 feet away); Settler's Cabin (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Juan Bautista.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 6, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.