Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlotte Hall in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Coole Springs of Saint Marie’s

Charlotte Hall, Maryland

 
 
Coole Springs of Saint Marie’s Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
1. Coole Springs of Saint Marie’s Marker
Inscription. Waters of exceptional purity and reputed healing quality led to the establishment near here of one of the earliest hospitals in the North American Colonies, authorized by the General Assembly, October 20, 1698.
 
Erected by the Maryland Historical Trust.
 
Location. 38° 28.672′ N, 76° 46.656′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Hall, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Charlotte Hall Road south of Charlotte Hall School Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. It is behind the St. Mary’s County Welcome Center on Route 5, which runs parallel to Charlotte Hall Road. Marker is in this post office area: Charlotte Hall MD 20622, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rear Admiral Raphael Semmes C.S.N. ( here, next to this marker); Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé ( within shouting distance of this marker); Charlotte Hall School ( within shouting distance of this marker); No Match for British Might ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maryland Begins Here ( about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Charlotte Hall School
Gateway to Coole Springs image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
2. Gateway to Coole Springs
The marker is in profile on the extreme left. The gateway was erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1923. It faces the Charlotte Hall School gates across Charlotte Hall Road. The plaque on the left gatepost is the Raphael Semmes Marker.
( about 600 feet away); Maxwell Hall ( approx. 4.4 miles away); Rev. Lawrence Anthony Bender, S.S. ( approx. 5.3 miles away); Solid Ground ( approx. 5.4 miles away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery ( approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte Hall.
 
Categories. Natural ResourcesScience & Medicine
 
Right Gatepost Plaque image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
3. Right Gatepost Plaque
The plaque reads: “1698–1923. Erected by the Francis Scott Key Chapter, D.A.R. of Baltimore, Md. to mark this historic spot and as a Memorial to Henry Briscoe Thomas, 1864–1922, a native of St. Mary’s County and Alumnus of Charlotte Hall School. An eminent and beloved physician of Baltimore. Fanny Combs Couch, Regent; Harriet Garland Twisley, Chairman.”
Horse and Buggy on Charlotte Hall Road image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
4. Horse and Buggy on Charlotte Hall Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,214 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the spring • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement