Near Harman in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Pendleton County / Randolph County
Randolph County. Formed, 1787, from Harrison. Named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, Virginia statesman and soldier. Largest county in the State. Federal dominance of the Tygart’s Valley in the Civil War largely determined control of West Virginia.
Erected 1964 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Location. 38° 53.533′ N, 79° 28.074′ W. Marker is near Harman, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on U.S. 33, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harman WV 26270, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Lime and Big Injun (approx. 3.9 miles away); Tory Camps / Seneca Trail (approx. 4.4 miles away); Seneca Rocks (approx. 6.4 miles away); A Melting Pot House (approx. 6.4 miles away); Sites Homestead (approx. 6.4 miles away); More Than One Way Up 10th Mountain Division (approx. 6˝ miles away); John Wolford (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harman.
More about this marker. The county line here also marks the Eastern Continental Divide. Land to the west drains into the Gulf of Mexico. Land to the east drains into the Atlantic Ocean.
A note about nearby markers. The Champe Rocks marker may be 8 miles away as the crow flies, but it is 14 miles away as the car drives.
Also see . . .
1. Pendleton County History. (Submitted on July 18, 2008.)
2. Randolph County History. (Submitted on July 18, 2008.)
3. Edmund Pendleton (1721–1803). (Submitted on July 18, 2008.)
4. Edmund Jennings Randolph (1753–1813) Founding Father of the United States. (Submitted on July 18, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 773 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.